I know some people really object to the word hate and I suppose I could call this a “do” and “don’t” list, but sometimes there is no in-between and you have to just love or hate something. We’ve seen a lot of favors in our wedding travels…from the mundane to the most heartfelt and I think it probably goes without saying that I prefer the latter. Here are some of my faves and a few of my pet peeves!
- Seating cards that double as favors.
- Personalized tags to match your invitations, menu or monogram–a must-have detail!
- Altruistic or family-made favors like homemade cookies, family recipes & charitable donations.
- Edible favors of locally made goodies you just know your guests will love (think maple syrup, honey, spicy mustard, apple butter or chocolates!).
- Welcome baskets for out-of-town guests in addition to (or instead of) favors at the reception.
Hate it (Sorry, No Love)
- Large-sized favors that take over the look of the centerpieces/tablescape and clutter it up.
- Items that are childish or garbagey (like beer coozies, bubbles and tiny bells)!
- Mints or chocolate-coated almonds in little tulle bags!
- Using the term “in lieu of favors” on donation cards. The donation IS the favor, it’s not in lieu of one.